Friday 30 January 2015

No. 76: Shaunna of the Shard

Yesterday, after months of planning and weeks of delays, the GWDP/Blackstone team moved into The Shard.  For the first time in 14 years I have my own office. I have got so used to open-plan working that it actually feels a little odd having my own little space to scratch and burp in.

From the 15th floor the view is marvellous. If I press myself up against the window and squeeze to the edge I can just about see the London Eye. My main view is of Guys Hospital.  Poorly people in the hospital will be able to see me slaving away. If they have binoculars they might even be able to read my emails.

I am going to enjoy this. Every day (twice a day actually) I intend to give the residents at  Guys a special performance. As I change out of/into my cycling lycra they will get to enjoy me in all my glorious wonder. I am hoping to create a following. Forget having a blog, I want YouTube fame. ‘Middle aged bloke undressing’ feels like a title that the nation wants to see trending on social media.

Completing this move was due in no small part to the perseverance and sheer dogged determination of my colleague Shauna C. She has attended endless meeting with the The Shard authorities, coordinated all the IT infrastructure (it all worked within seconds of us arriving….that has to be a first!) and has discovered a secret café on the 8th floor that is strictly for Shard contractors only.

Apparently it does especially good bacon butties, so todays challenge is to see if we can blag our way into it for Elevenses.  

Roger L should probably also take some credit,  but since I can’t shoe-horn his name into a modern film reference (such as the widely publicised ‘Sean the Sheep’ movie), he will get overlooked this time.


I am sure he will understand. Roger Rabbit would.

No comments:

Post a Comment