Tuesday 20 January 2015

No. 73: My Personal Tourist Guide to Abu Dhabi

What to do?: Attend the annual International Water Summit. So what it only lasts 4 days a year. That makes it all the more special. Think of it as the Middle East equivalent of La Tomatina (the Spanish festival held in Valencia every August where thousands gather to throw tomatoes at each other) but rather than throwing tomatoes the delegates throw water-related challenges.

What to drink?: Anything but the tap water. Apparently it is full of heavy metals. At least that is what I was told by a man who is shipping Antarctic glacier melt water (in bulk) so it can be bottled locally. He may have been motivated to exaggerate. He gave me a bottle which unfortunately I lost during my next meeting. I felt appropriately guilty. Not only have the earths’ resources been plundered to ship the water halfway across the globe, but I hadn’t even got the decency to keep it. Bad Piers.

Where to drink?: Rays Bar at the top of Etihad Towers. The perfect place to view Abu Dhabi at night. Try to not be put off by the truly awful puns (‘Rays Grill – the place to meat people’).

Where to eat?: The Fish Market - a restaurant where you choose your meal not by consulting a menu but rather by selecting raw fish directly from a market stall, under the guidance of a very attentive waiter. The chef then cooks it to order. Its ridiculously expensive but quite a lot of fun. That was last nights’ meal and it certainly beat tonights’ restaurant (the Theatre at Rotana Park Hotel) where, after we had been waiting for an hour to be served, the head waitress told us the chef had left the building. Heaven alone knows who cooked what eventually turned up.  

What to avoid: The stray cats outside the above mentioned Fish Market. I had to step outside to take a conference call and found myself hounded by a very loud, very insistent cat. Its wailing was so bad the New Yorkers at the end of the phone asked if I had a baby with me. When I tried to encourage it to leave me alone, by pushing it away with my foot it simply rubbed itself lovingly against my shoe. I think it could smell the fish.
                                                                                                      

For the avoidance of doubt, I was not trying to kick the cat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment