Sunday 18 January 2015

No. 72: Hello Foot, let me introduce you to Mouth

The corporate jungle can be a dangerous place. It is filled with fierce creatures. To survive one must know the hierarchy, value the hierarchy, respect the hierarchy… Only a fool lets himself get it wrong.

My reporting line in Global Water Development is directly to the CEO of GWD. My CEO in turn reports into a Senior Managing Director at Blackstone. Thus in my corporate jungle the Blackstone Senior Managing Director is a big Silverback Gorilla (not a reference to his looks, more a comment on his alpha maleness!). I, on the other hand, am a little capuchin monkey. Cheeky, cute, but with a tendency to become irritating.

Late last Friday I had an email exchange with my Senior Managing Directors right hand man, a chap called Bilal. I think of Bilal as a Silverback-in-Training. I have met Bilal twice. He is (like all Blackstone people) very bright, very focussed, very competent. Despite being a very busy man he had facilitated an introduction for me. I decided to drop him a short email of thanks.   

In my defence it was late and I had spent the day in darkest Sweden (not the natural habitat for a capuchin monkey). I kept my email short and sharp: ‘Brill, thanks for this, much appreciated’. The ‘Brill’  was an abbreviation of Brilliant. I thought this was obvious.

Unfortunately a few minutes later I got a 2 word reply, which read simply: ‘Its Bilal’.

No exclamation mark. No smiley face. No ; )  Did he honestly think I had got his name wrong? Was his email steeped with humour, anger, or just plain indifference? I decided to send a rather clumsy apology, explaining my mistake. I held my breath for the reply. This time it was three words: ‘Ha! No worries’


Phew. Monkey gets to swing in the trees for another day…


No comments:

Post a Comment