Sunday 4 January 2015

No. 67: Just call me Woody....

When I worked at Thames Water there was a running joke that I bore a passing resemblance with the actor Woody Harrelson (see attached photos). While I agree there is a slight likeness, I assumed the joke had become exaggerated for effect; I didn’t really look like him.

Last week however, on the top of a French Alp, a complete stranger mistook me for the great man. Bearing in mind he is 8 years older than me I found this mildly offensive. As I politely admitted that I was just plain old me, my brother helpfully pointed out that my Woody-likeness was with ‘his fat balding Zombie Land career-low stage’, rather than when he was slim and handsome.

In most of his roles Woody tends to play the deranged psychotic madman. That’s not me, surely? I wanted to find whether we had any other similarities. Wikipedia tells me that, aside from being an accomplished TV, theatre and film actor he is an advocate for the legalisation of cannabis. I can’t recall when I last took even an Asprin. His father was a hit man and died in prison. My father was a research analyst and is still very much alive. The hunt for lifestyle kinship was not looking good.

And then I read that he recently topped pole for The Sexiest Vegan. One of my (many) New Year’s resolutions is to only eat meat twice a week. Ok, so it’s not the full vegan thing, but I finally feel we have an affinity. I can build on this. (I am also greatly reassured that at least the vegan-community find white, balding, middle-aged blokes attractive!)

Getting ribbed by colleagues is one thing, having foreigners approach you in the mistaken belief that you are an Emmy Award winner is quite another. It got me thinking, there has to be an opportunity here…

Following an (extensive, all-consuming) internet search of Lookalike Agencies I can confidently state there is a dearth in the supply of Woody H doppelgangers. There are countless Prince Williams and Tom Cruises, but I couldn’t find a single Woody. Something tells me 2015 could be my breakthrough year.


Happy New Year. Have a great 2015.




No comments:

Post a Comment