Sunday 1 February 2015

No. 77: Paval Policar: The James Bond of the water industry

Ok, so I admit it. I am in awe of Pavel Policar. He is one of those people who just sweeps you off your feet. He has gloriously crisp business brain (perhaps not unexpected for someone who is the Chairman of the Czech Water Association, and the CEO for a local water company, and runs a multinational construction company, and has a successful farm and…. ). He is also fantastically generous, sharing not just his physical resources but, arguably far more valuable, his precious time. I love Pav.

He is also completely and utterly bonkers. He has a thirst for adrenalin would probably get him certified insane in most countries. James Bond has nothing on him. When it comes to doing something wild and exciting he is your man. Competitive downhill stunt skiing, white water rafting, jumping out of aeroplanes (probably without a parachute) - these are all things that Pav would happily do without a moments consideration. I love Pav.

He recently sent me the attached photo. That’s his wife Monica in the car. The caption read ‘Got a text message from Monica. It read Pav, I am in trouble - handing over to the highway police the car and all other documents... Can you come and help’. It made me smile. I bet your local water company CEO doesn’t do this sort of thing. It takes a certain kind of Czech madness. I love Pav.

Last year my family visited Prague and spent a glorious weekend with Pav and his family. We canoed in the wild rivers, we watched lambs birthing on his farm, we raced up and down his field on one of his petrifyingly scary motorbikes (I didn’t drive, I merely clung onto him for dear life, exhilarated yet terrified). I love Pav.


When I got back to England I shared the story, via an early Note, with my Thames Water colleagues. Three women responded asking for his number.  I never told Monica. Some things are best kept to oneself. Only I am allowed to love Pav.


No comments:

Post a Comment