Monday 16 February 2015

No. 81: Tony Blair beats Myleene Klass!

Now that's an attention-grabbing headline: Former British PM attacks celebrity beauty/former pop-star. It is one of two incredible stories I want to share. They both relate to the Middle East. 

Three weeks ago I was in Abu Dhabi for the International Water Summit (IWS). A few people from Isle also attended. Nada Abubakr, from Isle Australia, will lead Isle's new Middle East business. She is from Abu Dhabi and speaks Arabic which, quite apart from her many other skills, gives her an important advantage. 

Three years ago one of the first people I spoke to in the Middle East about Isle was a terrific bloke from Sharjah called Dr AlaEldin Idris. We shared common interests and had an equally warped view of the world. He was keen to work with Isle, but Sharjah Energy and Water Authority (his employers) were too small to be our 'anchor' client. Over the years we kept in contact via email and meet up when our paths cross at conferences. I knew he was going to be at IWS and we had agreed to catch up. I was looking forward to it. 

Imagine my frustration when I visited the Isle stand to find that I had just missed him. I immediately scanned the exhibitors hall, jogging down the nearby corridors to try and find him.  Eventually I returned to the Isle stand and Nada, who had a local phone that worked (mine didn't) suggested she rang him. I gave her his card and she laughed, commenting that her cousins husband was also called AlaEldin Idris. Funny how coincidences happen. 

She rang the number and spoke with AlaEldin and a few minutes later he returned to the stand. That was the moment when we realised that he didn't just share the same name as her cousins husband.....he actually was her cousins husband! Sometimes the world is a very small place. 

That is story No 1. Story No 2 relates to the former British Prime Minister, Tony Blair. Contrary to what you might have thought from the title, it does not involve him attacking the lovely Myleene Klass. That was just a ruse to get you to read this far (sorry). 

Nada bumped into Tony when she recently attended a meeting at the Abu Dhabi Environment Agency. He was walking out of their offices as she was walking in. Apparently they exchanged words (I like to think that they discussed fiscal policy and the challenges of international peace keeping). This fact alone means that Nada's exchange with Tony trumps my earlier exchange with Myleene (see earlier Note, copied below). In the world of celebrity Top Trumps, Tony beats Myleene. 


I need a new celebrity scalp.

No comments:

Post a Comment