Tuesday 31 March 2015

No. 93: A great night in London

For the past 30 years my mother, an English teacher, has striven to instil some culture into my rather boorish and unsophisticated existence by exposing me to works of art, music and literature. Her approach has been to select compositions that would not normally cross the desk of a scientist-cum-engineer such as myself. My Christmas stocking invariably includes a weighty tome from an author who has won a recent worthy yet obscure literary award. I diligently wade my way through it. It feels a bit like eating porridge. I know it’s good for me but boy is it hard work.

As part of this drive to make me a more rounded and culturally diverse person, last night my parents took my wife and I to the theatre to see Arthur Millers ‘A View from the Bridge’ – a work of which I had never heard. Prior to last night I knew two facts about Arthur Miller: he was briefly married to Marylyn Monroe and he wrote On the Waterfront, the terrific Marlon Brando film. In preparation for the show I read a synopsis of the play and learnt that A View from the Bridge is ‘a dramatic tale of angst and family-crisis set in 1950s New York involving themes of incest and homophobia’. What is not to like?

Clearly it was going to be a long night. As we settled into our seats my father leant over and conspiratorially whispered that I should wake him if he starts snoring too loudly.

However what then followed was arguably the most electrifying and mesmerising 2 hours I have ever spent in a theatre. It was absolutely spectacular. I cannot recommend this highly enough. It was funny, tragic, absorbing, with twists that you just didn’t see coming…or I didn’t at least. The lead actor, Mark Strong (best known for his role as a baddie in the films of Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood and John Carter) was supported by a cast that literally fizzed with energy and passion.

If you are looking for a good night out in London then this has to be it.


(special tip: ask for a seat on the stage and you will have not just the best seats in the house, but probably the best theatre seats in London!)

No comments:

Post a Comment