Wednesday 11 March 2015

No. 88: The problem with cycling to work…

Those of you who read Notes no 87 will be aware that today was Day 2 of World Water Tech. Whereas yesterday I stood in to cover Fiona’s chairperson duties, today I was an official chair-people in my own right. I had the mid-morning session, just before coffee. You know the session;  it’s the one that starts after the audience has already been sitting for 90 minutes and they are tired and restless and need a caffeine hit. They are not the best audience to engage on a panel debate about Industrial Water.   

As I cycled into work this morning I was wondering how best I could spice up this difficult slot. I decided that rather than the traditional speaker introductions (where each speaker drones on for a few minutes citing the exciting parts of their cv) we would take a completely new approach and play a game. My three panellists (Lydia Whyatt - Resonance, Michael Avant Smith - Nu Water, Liam Curran – Enterprise Ireland) had no idea that this was going to happen but fortunately they all played along perfectly. They are such good sports. 

Each panellist was given a choice of two questions to answer. The question they chose not to answer then had to be answered by the next panellist (which meant they had a few extra precious seconds to think of an answer). My questions, devised on my bike this morning, were as follows:


  • Where did you go on holiday last year OR what is your favourite hobby and why?
  • What is your middle name OR what are the names of your pets?
  • Tell us a secret, OR share your earliest memory?
  • Who would play you in the movie of your life OR who are your three dream dinner guests?
  • What is the colour of your underwear OR what is your favourite smell?
  • What is your biggest achievement OR what is your biggest mistake?


It was a bit unconventional but I feel confident the audience gained a deeper insight into their panellists. The TV rights for the above game are pending. I claim full copyright. 

The problem with cycling to work is you get too long to think of things like this. Something tells me I may not be asked to chair at a WWT event for some time.  Tomorrow I will catch the train. 

The answers? Arizona on a dude ranch holiday, skiing, Gerard, A Setter called Duncan, fell off a boat when young, snow, kate blanchet, nelson mandela/the members of this panel, grey (???!!), the sea, accepting to come on this panel (my greatest achievement) and accepting to come on this panel (my worst mistake). Oh how we laughed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment