Thursday 4 December 2014

No. 60: When Piers met Myleen Klass….

Previous Notes have referred when I almost met Kim Kardashian/Kanye West (no 31) and when I almost met President Obama (no 32). This Note recounts when I actually met Myleen Klass.

For the non British readers I should explain that Myleen was a TV talent show contestant back in 2001. She didn’t win but, such as is the way with these things, she still became famous. Her band (Hear’Say) came second, but they enjoyed a (frighteningly brief) period in the limelight before splitting up in 2003 amid claims of inter-band strife.

I met Myleen in her ‘slump years’, in 2005.

Shortly after this she participated in another TV reality show, this time based in the Australian outback where (to the delight of most males in the country) she showered very publically in a skimpy white bikini. I have no idea why this memory is burned into my brain.

She is now back in the news, mainly because she has become a high profile (and surprisingly informed) ‘peoples critic’ of politicians. She has looks, brains and attitude. From my brief meeting with her, she is also truly lovely.

I was meeting with the former CEO of Southern Water, a chap called Les Dawson. For this story to make sense you have to know that Les Dawson was also the name of a famous British 1970s TV comedian. Anyone born after 1980 (as surely Myleen is) would have no idea who Les Dawson the comedian was, let alone Les Dawson the CEO of Southern Water. 

Anyway, Les and I were meeting in a London hotel lobby. As we chatted I became aware that I had lost his attention, Les' gaze was fixed on someone behind me. I turned and there was the lovely Myleen with a couple of her friends. Before I could say anything Les had leapt into action and pressed his hand into hers and was saying enthusiastically  'My names Les Dawson, it really is. I am Les Dawson! Tell her Piers, tell her I am Les Dawson'.

Despite it being abundantly clear that she had no idea who Les Dawson was I, like a fool, simply nodded dumbstruck and chanted 'Yeah, he's Les Dawson. he's Les Dawson'. She smiled her sweetest celebrity smile, shook our (sweaty, clammy) hands and no doubt chalked us up as two typical middle aged fans (and remember, this was before the bikini! Back then we were a far more select group than must follow her today!)

You may be wondering why 9 years after our encounter I tell this story. Following my last Note about Bactest I happened to see the attached press photo of Prof Annie Brooking (CEO of Bactest) and Myleen at an awards ceremony. It took me down memory lane. (For those of you in doubt, Myleen is the one on the left) 

Annie tells me she has hopes that Myleen will do the formal launch of If she does then I'll certainly be there! 

I wonder if she will remember me.....



(Shepherd: It looks after the floccs! Don’t you just love water industry humour…).

No comments:

Post a Comment