Friday 24 October 2014

No. 46: Job Titles…again

A few months ago I wrote a Note about my latest (mildly ridiculous) Thames Water job title : ‘Managing Director for Non House Hold Retail (NHHR) and Commercial Director’. People kindly pointed out that it was too long to be practical, that household is actually one word not two, and that if I shortened it to the acronym MDFNHHRACD it would probably mean just as much. I thanked them and moved on. Life was too short.

Now I am at Global Water Development I have a nice simple title: Business Development Director. I like this title. It says what I do. I am a salesman. A rain maker. A door-opener. I create opportunities, build relationships, develop projects….

Not everyone likes this title. People have suggested that ‘Business Development’ says I am not a real power-brokers, that I don’t have any real responsibility, that senior executives won’t take me seriously. They may be right (although I believe the first 2 minutes in a meeting are far more important than what is written on your card).

Alternative titles have been suggested,  including Chief Technology Officer.  (I have always wanted to be a Chief. Do I get a squaw and a tepee of my own?)

I like my Business Development title. I am a salesman and proud of it. Without a good BD person nothing will happen. It’s the most important role, not the least. My job is to open doors that are closed, to make rain fall where there are deserts. I can think of nothing I would rather be right now than a salesman for Global Water Development. It is my calling….


Of course, deep deep down I know that no title can ever beat MDFNHHRACD. A little bit of me misses it.

No comments:

Post a Comment