Tuesday 14 October 2014

No. 42: Bald Man Wisdom

Today I have been hob-nobbing in NYC. I had lunch with the former commissioner for New York DEP (Department for Environmental Protection (basically the ‘Thames Water of New York’). Lovely bloke. Knows all you would ever want to know about the US public water sector. With him was one of his colleagues, whom I shall call Andy (cos that’s his name). Andy was just as knowledgeable but on the private water sector. Between them they were a force to be reckoned with.

As I ploughed my way through my enormous pastrami-on-rye sandwich (containing more meat than any sane person should eat in a month) I felt I should be taking notes. Sadly only one key statement has stuck in my mind. Before I share it you need to know that Andy is bald. Not completely bald, but rather he has that baldness where the top of his head is hairless yet around the edges he still has the virile fulsome growth that could put a teenager to shame…if only it were across the whole of his head. It is the baldness pattern that my grandfather had, my father has and I know I will have in a few short years. My lucky, lucky sons will also no doubt enjoy it too (along with most of the males on the planet).  

As we started talking about the ongoing and ridiculously severe drought in California Andy commented that actually there wasn’t really that big a water shortage. He claims (and I guess he should know) that there is plenty of water but it is just being used by the powerful agricultural sector. He even talked of Californian rice paddies (photo attached). So what were his words of wisdom? They were as follows, and you need to put on a strong NY accent to get the full value:

‘There ain’t no water shortage in California. It’s like my hairline. There is everything you need up there, it’s just all in the wrong place’.


I almost choked.

No comments:

Post a Comment