Friday 10 October 2014

No. 39: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

First a good story: Ryan has had a baby. Well, technically I guess his wife did most of the work, but Ryan’s role was crucial. I have a photo on my phone but it is beyond my meagre IT skills to get this into this email. Zachary Richard Evan, 6lb 14 oz, born on Sunday night. Congratulations Mr and Mrs Evans. If I have done my maths right, this is the 8th Isle baby in recent years. Not bad for a team of 30. What have you all be doing? (actually don’t answer that, I can work it out).

Now for a bad naming: Yesterday I learnt about a new company that does heat recovery from sewers. I love this idea. Sewer heat represents a massive untapped energy source. However, there are many doubters who (not unreasonably) claim that the temperature differential isn’t big enough and that it increases the risk of sewer blockages. They claim that the companies doing this are just snake oil salesmen trying to persuade people to buy their dodgy invention. It doesn’t help that this new company is called Sharc. (‘We are going to need a bigger boat…sorry, sewer’)

Finally an ugly truth. I sit on the UK Water Innovation Leadership Group. This group involves the great and the good from Defra, Ofwat, British Water etc. Not quite sure why I am there. To look pretty I think. A year ago the committee decided it would be good to create a web-site that captured all the various R&D activities that are undertaken in the UK water sector (by water companies, supply companies, universities etc). I had my doubts about this project. It would be impossible to gather coherent info, and even if we did it would be out of date almost instantly. However we placed a contract and the project was off and running.

A year on we have a web site with almost no data of any value on it. Over the past year 15 people have visited the site, spending an average of 20 seconds. In yesterdays’ meeting there was a half-hearted attempt to spin this unmitigated disaster as a positive story. A few of us strongly resisted, pointing out that if ever there was a time to knock this on the head it was now. That to perpetuate it was to waste both our time and our precious resources.


However to make this bold, hard, decision would be to show some backbone. It’s sometimes just too easy to continue with bad ideas. I fear the ugly truth is that committees, which are surely designed to have the collective power of many brains, are actually worthless. Compromise isn’t always the right answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment