Wednesday 25 November 2015

No 129: Remember this name: Anna Oliphant Wright


The daughter of one of my mates in Australia, Tony Wright (CEO, Victoria Water Association) likes to sing and write songs (yes I know, you have heard this sort of story many times before, but this one is a bit different). She recently released a song on iTunes and within days it was listed as number 3 on the iTunes top 100 new releases in the blues genre. As you might imagine, this took her parents somewhat by surprise. They knew she was good but…..

Here is a link to a page the local radio station put together on Anna. The two songs on the link are originals and Anna plays the instruments. These songs were recorded in her living room and in the school music studio. Keep in mind she is 15. She is still at school. She is awesome. 




I listened to the songs and thought she was exceptional, but what do I know. I am just a water-boy. Now through a quirk of circumstance I happen to know the singer/songwriting legend (and former lead singer for 1980s pop group Ultravox) Midge Ure. Yes, this is the very same Midge Ure who penned the Band Aid single 'Do they know it's Christmas' and helped, along with Bob Geldof, change the face of the world for the better back in 1984. (Fun fact: Midge is the phonetic reversal of his given name Jim. You can take that to your next dinner party and dazzle people with your knowledge). 

Having been blown away by Anna's style I felt compelled to share her songs with Midge. He is a busy man, touring the world and the like but, being Midge, he took the time to listen to her recordings and has given her some advice (which I won't share here, partly to save embarrassing her but mainly so I can then cash in big time when she becomes famous with my exclusive early insights into her journey to the top). Suffice to say he compared her to the young Kate Bush. 

Listen to these songs. This is not the voice of an X Factor flash in the pan. She has a Katie Melua richness. She needs to gently nurture her talent, develop her style, and become the truly great musician that these songs promise. Listen to those words : This is the work of a songwriter extraordinaire.

And she wants to study to be a civil engineer. How cool is that?! 

And I know her dad. 

And now, by default, so do you. 


 (if you also enjoy the link let me know, I will pass it on to her dad)

No comments:

Post a Comment