Friday 14 November 2014

No. 53: Jelly Worms

Last time I was in Australia I shared a swimming pool with Kim Kardashian and Kanye West (see earlier Note). Ok, so we weren't in the pool at the same time. Minor point.

I am back in Aus and am sharing the experience with The Rolling Stones, 4 Russian warships and the G20 world leaders. Whilst they discuss world trade, terrorism threats and global environmental issues, I am talking 'water' with anyone who will listen. 

I love Australians. They are so positive and 'can do', generous and constantly open to new ideas. Opinionated and questioning, never afraid to tell you if they think you are talking rubbish, but all done with a straight, honest, smiling frankness. It's a cultural thing that seems to flow through their whole national psyche.  

Earlier this week I tried to change one of my flights between Brisbane and Adelaide, the  two main G20 cities, so security was tighter than usual. The kindly, smily, airport staff told me I had to contact my travel agent as only they could change the ticket. It took an incredible 45 minutes on the phone to make the changes, so long in fact that I missed the flight that I had been trying to catch. 

Was I grumpy? No. It was impossible to get annoyed. The airport ticketing staff had opened a fresh huge (literally 10kg!) bag of Australian Jelly Worms and as I stood listening to the mind numbingly dire Muzak on the travel agent's telephone system we ate worms and generally putting the world to rights.


I hope the G20 folk have Australian Jelly Worms. Everyone should have Jelly Worms.

No comments:

Post a Comment