Friday 7 November 2014

No. 50: Oh dear…

Today I am 45. To use an Oil and Gas analogy, I have reached ‘Peak Piers’, ie there is less time in front of me than there is behind me. Yes despite this I am feeling pretty good.

As I cycled the 18 miles into central London this morning (that’s a whole Note on its own, detailing the cycle-obsessed mid-life crisis that I now share with thousands of other 40+ Londoners) I considered how lucky I was. I have a shiny new job in the City, great friends, a loving family. I am a very lucky bloke.

In Thames Water when you have a birthday the tradition is that the birthday-celebrant buys cakes for the whole team. In Blackstone/Global Water it’s a little different. At 930am my terrific new colleagues appeared with glasses and a bottle of rather fine, very chilled, champagne. It’s not yet 10am and I have downed three glasses. Feeling a bit tipsy actually. And I have a big celebratory lunch with Jeremy Rudd in 3 hours. I think I Luv him.


My cycle home tonight may be a bit more challenging than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment