Monday 10 November 2014

No. 51: Quick Quiz: Where would you find the Dubai Airport Hotel?

This morning at 1am local time I arrived in Dubai. It has been many years since I was at Dubai airport and as I weaved my way through security I marvelled at how much had changed. Local importers of marble have clearly had a good few years. It’s a bright clean modern airport.

30 min later I cleared customs and walked out of the Arrivals exit. I started looking for signs to the Dubai Airport Hotel. Eventually I asked a friendly looking local and as she pointed back towards the customs area I felt my heart sink. The Dubai Airport Hotel is actually in the airport, before you get to customs. I spent half an hour trying to talk my way back through security but it was clear I wasn’t going to be successful. Arguably the least helpful suggestion for how I could get to my hotel room was for me to change my next flight to an earlier time so I could check in right away, then once I had the boarding pass I could get through security.

The fact that this approach would mean all the meetings I had planned would no longer happen seemed to be a minor aside.


In the end I booked myself into another hotel and chalked it up as yet another thing I learnt after it was too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment