Tuesday 16 June 2015

No 106: My personal highlight from the Singapore Water Innovation Summit 2015

I am currently at the Water Innovation Summit in Singapore. A 2 day event, involving 350 senior water executives from 35 countries, all passionately and fervently discussing ways to make the water industry better. I love it.

Last February, in Note 84, I shared that I had been invited to chair one of the sessions. I requested suggestions on how I could make my session a bit more lively and engaging and I was bombarded with ideas. I submitted to the organisers seven different options, ranging from the traditional (read bland) through to the truly audacious (read mad). They picked option 3, nearer the traditional than the audacious, but still with some surprising elements. As part of my session, which was focussed on the culture, values and behaviours that an organisation needs to adopt to be a successful innovator, I had invited Vikram Banerjee, a former professional athlete (cricket) and current Head of Consulting for Footdown, to give a thought-provoking talk about experiences from outside the water sector. It was during his talk that I experienced something that will stay with me for a very long time….

As a short ice-breaker exercise Vikram asked everyone in the audience to take a piece of paper, find a partner and then, in 30 seconds, draw a picture of that person. After a brief moment of stilted discomfort everyone got on with the task and, 30 seconds later the room was abuzz with nervous laughter as we all shared our pathetic artistic creations, caveated with lots of apologies for how bad they were. The aim of the exercise had been to demonstrate how, as we get older, we tend to be less open to failure and it worked perfectly. Children apparently embrace this exercise, yet as adults we don’t like to do something where we know the result won’t be brilliant so we tend not to try. This fear of failure stifles innovation. It was a brilliant point, very well made.

I happened to be sitting next to His Excellency Dr So-and-so (names not my strong point) from Cambodia. He is a member of the Royal family and is also a senior director of the national water agency. He was my drawing partner. Due to the language barrier I am not sure he fully understood the purpose of the task, but he enthusiastically participated nonetheless. His picture of me looked like Yul Brenner (probably not unfair). Unfortunately my picture of him looked like Hitler. Realising my emerging mistake I hastily drew on glasses to try and soften the impact. I think I got away with it. We laughed, we bonded, we moved on.


It was, without a doubt, my personal highlight from the summit. So far at least. We still have another day to go…..

No comments:

Post a Comment