Tuesday 5 January 2016

No 134: My first meeting of 2016


My first meeting of 2016 was very important. I was meeting with a senior member of the Ministry of Energy and Environment in Abu Dhabi. So important and influential was the person that I was meeting that I had been advised to refer to her as ‘Your Highness’. I had flown into Abu Dhabi especially for this engagement. It was not a meeting to be ill-prepared for, nor for me to arrive at late.

Imagine my excitement therefore when I got into my hotel taxi to make the 20 minute journey only for my driver, who looked about 12, to get lost 4 times.

Give him credit though, what he lacked in local knowledge he made up with sheer excitement and enthusiasm. At every lights he leapt out of the car, and rushed to the nearest neighbouring taxi to ask directions. He was completely unperturbed at the distress this was causing me, and upon returning to our car would simply turn and give me a beaming smile and tell me that it was ‘All good’. If only there was a way of getting, say, ones’ mobile phone to give directions.

I had left my hotel with an hour to spare. I arrived with just minutes remaining. The opportunity for a pre-meeting with my colleague was lost. My driver’s cheerful enthusiasm however had entranced me and rather than being grumpy I found myself sharing in his childlike delight at locating the (massive, imposing, really-difficult-not-to-notice) Offices for the Federal Government. We felt united in our quest, like treasure hunters who had finally struck gold.

It was only as I was paying my bill that my young chauffeur turned to me and proudly informed me that today was his first day on the job. I was his first ever customer. I smiled at him sweetly and gave him an undeservedly large tip to celebrate this milestone. Enthused by my payment he offered to stay and wait, and be my driver for the whole day. I hastily declined.


I don’t doubt that I should have given him a tip. After all, who hasn’t screwed up on their first day in a new job? But I sense my tip should have been advisory rather than monetary: Buy a Sat Nav. 

No comments:

Post a Comment