Wednesday 13 May 2015

No 100: All Change...



Last Thursday the UK went to the polls. To everyone’s surprise, the Conservative party secured a clear victory and, as a result, a number of senior Labour and Liberal MPs lost their jobs. I imagine them wandering the streets, forlornly wondering what they will do next. I have a degree of empathy with them, as I also resigned last week. After just 8 months with Blackstone/Global Water Development Partners I decided that I needed to do something else.

I am clearly not a high profile politician. I have not had to bear the indignity of having 30,000 of my neighbours publically sack me. My choice has been made independently. Some might conclude that I resigned to show support for these poor misunderstood politicians. They would be wrong. I am clearly a lovely, kind hearted and empathetic individual, but I am not completely stupid.

Others might conclude I did it just to get a juicy topic for this 100th Note. Again, they would be mistaken. While I take the task of finding engaging topics very seriously my obsession has not quite reached that level. (Yet. Wait till we get to No 200)

Perhaps I have resigned just so that I can taunt the Compliance Officer at Blackstone. Over the past 8 months he has diligently (laboriously?) read these Notes just to make sure that I don’t breach the strict rules of private equity confidentiality (yes Roger, you know I mean you). I can hardly contain my childish delight as I write this very sentence, knowing full well that Roger will be reading this with growing sense of panic, asking himself just what it is that I am about to reveal.
Roger, you can relax. I have not resigned just to have some sport with you. (Well….not in this edition anyway.)
I am leaving a team of incredibly hard working, very bright, supremely focussed individuals. Our parting is as amicable as it could possibly be. I will stay in post until August, and will then continue to be a ‘Roving Ambassador’ for GWDP, helping them find investment opportunities that meet their investment criteria.
I am leaving because, deep down, I am simply not an infrastructure investor. Try as I might I cannot get excited about writing huge ($100M+) cheques to fund big, de-risked infrastructure projects. When I started the role I honestly thought I could, but it has become increasingly clear that this is not my passion, and never will be. I am a techie at heart. Maybe not a very good one, but I do so love new technology. Rather than work on big infrastructure projects that have been neatly de-risked, I positively hunger to work with entrepreneurs who have scary market risks to resolve and difficult technical questions to answer. Quite simply, the salesman in me hankers for that delightful buzz that comes from doing something that disrupts the status quo.

If my epitaph is that I didn’t possess what was required to be a hard-nosed corporate investment banker and that I am actually more a cheesy salesman then, you know what, I am good with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment